Wednesday, January 24, 2007

One God or many gods?

My next topic will look at the issue of, is their One God or many Gods.

Mormonism teaches that the GoodHood is made up of 3 seperate gods, not one God in the form of 3 people. Mormonism teaches that God the father was once a man and his father was a god. I will use a little (g) For the word god when it refers to any god other than the true and Living God. If God the father had a father who was a god, and we keep looking back we could find hundreds if not millions of gods.

We read in the king follet discourse given by Joseph Smith that there is millions of gods. We also are told faithful LDS can attain god hood and become gods someday. Lets first look at some verses in scripture.


"I am the first, and I am the last; and beside me there is no God....is there a God beside me; yea, there is no God; I know not any." Isa. 44:6&8

"To whom will ye liken me, and make me equal, and compare me, that we may be like?...for I am God, and there is none else; I am God, and there is none like me." Isa. 46:5&9

"I am the Lord; that is my name; and my glory will I not give to another." Isa. 42:8

If Mormonism is true, and their are 3 seperate gods that form the Godhood, then God lied when He says, I know of no other Gods. If God the father has a father and he has a father, and we keep going back, How can He know of no other Gods if his father is a god, If Jesus is a God and the Holy Spirit is a God, then God the father should have said, I know them or of them.


Now the Bible teaches God cannot Lie. If God cannot lie, how can God say, their are no gods formed before or after me. That tells me we cannot become gods. If God the father says, I know of no other gods, then either God lied or God is not very smart. How can God have a father who is a god, yet He claims I Know of no other gods. Did God forget that Jesus and the Holy Spirit are gods according to Mormonism?

Know we read in D and C 121:32
32 According to that which was ordained in the midst of the Council of the Eternal God of all other gods before this world was, that should be reserved unto the finishing and the end thereof, when every man shall enter into his eternal presence and into his immortal rest.

33 How long can rolling waters remain impure? What power shall stay the heavens? As well might man stretch forth his puny arm to stop the Missouri river in its decreed course, or to turn it up stream, as to hinder the Almighty from pouring down knowledge from heaven upon the heads of the Latter-day Saints.


In Verse 32 is states that God is eternal and over all other gods. then in verse 33 it says God is almighty. How can God be Eternal if He was once a man? How can God be before and above all other gods if he has a father who is a god and how could he come before ALL OTHER gods, if he has a father that is a god? How can he be ALMIGHTY, if a god is before him, IE his father?

Now we read in the BoM in Alma 11
26 And Zeezrom said unto him: Thou sayest there is a true and living God?
27 And Amulek said: Yea, there is a true and living God.
28 Now Zeezrom said: Is there more than one God?
29 And he answered, No.
30 Now Zeezrom said unto him again: How knowest thou these things?
31 And he said: An aangel hath made them known unto me.


Now if Amulek is supposed to be a true prophet of God and he states their is only one God, how can their be millions also?

Read in the Pearl of Great Price, all throughout Moses, it says, (I GOD created) then over in Moses chapter 1 verse 6 God says, (But their is no God beside me)

But then we read over in Abraham All through out God says (and the gods) created Etc. How can God say in the Bible that their is no other gods, the BoM only teaches one God, then in the pearl of Great Price we find one God only then later many gods. So which is it? Rick b

1 comment:

Dr. Russell Norman Murray said...

Hi Rick,

Thanks, clearly Biblically there is one true God as in:

Isaiah 43:10-11
Isaiah 44:6-7 (as you noted)
Isaiah 45:5
Revelation 22:13

As you may know, I wrote a related article on A Vicious Regress. The Infinite article is also somewhat related to your topic.

http://thekingpin68.blogspot.com/2006_10_01_archive.html