Monday, March 06, 2006

Book of Mormon. Another testament? Part 1

I would like to cover the Issue of the Book of Mormon being another testament of Jesus Christ. I will cover this in two parts. The first part will cover the BoM and other problems, Part two will go over the Bible.

Here is what I feel is a very good question to put to your LDS friends, I feel this is a good question because I have used it and as of yet I have not had one single Mormon ever answer my question. This is not to say they wont give an answer. But will they answer it or can they truthfully answer it. I personally believe if they are honest with themselves or you, they cannot really answer this question.

Ask your LDS friend or any LDS you happen to be sharing with, if we really do need the BoM as another testament from God, can you supply me with a list off all the teachings from it that are not found in the Bible that will help me get closer to the Lord and help me in my salvation. If not then why do we need it?

I (Rick B) have read all 4 standard works. I see lots of things in the BoM that line up with the Bible but in fact deny LDS beliefs, Such as eternal hell, Trinity, One God alone, No baptism after death Etc. I personally believe the BoM was plagiarized and now we see it in the BoM. I want a list of things that are not in the Bible but in the BoM that get me closer to the Lord. I personally bet no LDS member can provide me with the information I need. This is why you need on going revelation, But along with that, when in the last 200 years did a Mormon Prophet Give a revelation from God that really told us something that Will get us closer to God?

I also asked for something in the BoM not found in the Bible because of A of F 8 and how JS himself made a bold claim that a man will get nearer to God by reading the BoM over any other Book. Joseph Smith said in the History of the Church volume 4, page 461,
"I told the brethren that the Book of Mormon was the most correct of any book on earth, and the keystone of our religion, and a man would get nearer to God by abiding by it's precepts, than by any other book".

According to Dictionary.com these are the two meanings to the word precepts.
1. A rule or principle prescribing a particular course of action or conduct.
2. Law. An authorized direction or order; a writ.
.

I am posting these, because I notice LDS seem to change the definition of words when it denies their teachings. Example, it is said of God in the bible that he is from everlasting. Yet the mormons claim he had a beginning. So is he eternal or did he have a start? I guess it all depends on who's meaning you choose to use.

This is one reason that prove's to me that the BoM is false. I maintain No LDS member can give me the info I want, so instead they will either ignore this question, or refer me to different books, or say something like, If you know what your looking for you will find it.

That is a plain and simple Cop out. Or the 4th way around it will be, you will simply give me things that can be found in the Bible and try and get around it that way. Let me provide a short list of parallel's from the Bible and BoM.

Two articles I covered were the Trinity and the Cross, so you can look at those for more in depth information. But here is a short list we find in the BoM that is also taught in the Bible.

Everlasting Hell/Torment
Jacob 3:11 and 6:10
Mosiah 2:33,38 and 3:24
Alma 3:26,27 and 5:7
Helman 6:28,40 and 7:16

God the Father was never a man,
1st Nephi 11:21,31 and 13:40
2nd Nephi 9:8-9 and 26:12
Mosiah 3:5

God is the Most High God
2 nd Nephi 24:12-14
Jacob 2:5,10
Alma 11:21-41 and 26:14

Death on the Cross
Mosiah 3:8-9
Helman 8:14-15

Trinity
2 Nephi 26:12 and 31:21
Mosiah 15:1-8


I could provide much more on the lists above or even cover other topics found in both the Bible and BoM. So if we look at all these subjects, and say that the Bible covers them as does the BoM, then why do we need the Book of Mormon? If we say that because the Bible covers these subjects clearly and then say lets only go with subjects found in the Book of Mormon that are not found in the Bible that either pertain to my Salvation or help me with my walk with the Lord, can any Mormon in all good faith and honesty provide me with a list of these things from the BoM alone to help further my salvation. I maintain it cannot be done.

If I am correct and it cannot be done, then LDS need to honestly ask the question, Is the Book of Mormon really another testament of Jesus, or is it a false Gospel? If it is a false Gospel, then not only are you believing a lie, but you teaching a lie and sadly you will give an account for this to God on the day of judgment, then you will be cast into the lake of fire where you will be tormented forever. Is this something you are willing to rick for not honestly looking into this matter? Rick B

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The Book of Mormon: Another Testament of Jesus Christ. This means that its another testimony of the Savior working among another group of people, the Ancient Americans as opposed to His ministry among the Jews. From the Book of Mormon we recieved a witness that the Lord loves all his children and is involved with all of them.